Kale Caesar Salad
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 slices of day-old Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 to 3 anchovy fillets
- 2 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch of kale, tough stems removed, cut into ribbons
1. Coat a large saute pan with olive oil. Toss in half the garlic and the crushed red pepper and bring the pan to medium heat. Cook the garlic until it becomes golden and very aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and ditch it—it has fulfilled its garlic destiny. Toss in the bread cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until they are golden, crisp, and have absorbed all the oil, like little olive oil sponges. Remove from the heat and reserve.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the Parmigiano, lemon zest and juice, the remaining garlic, the Dijon, anchovies, and Worcestershire. Puree until the mixture is smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. With the machine running, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil through the feed tube. Let the processor continue to run for another 10 to 15 seconds. Taste and season with salt if needed.
3. In a large bowl, toss the kale with the croutons and two-thirds of the dressing. Let the kale sit for 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Taste, add the remaining dressing, and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page