- 1 small shallot, peeled and sliced crosswise into thin rings
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 lines)
- ¼ to ½ medium Serrano chile, seeded and minced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and soft stems
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 English cucumber, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons roasted salted peanuts
- Drop the shallot rings into a bowl of ice water and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. This takes some of the bite out of the shallots. Skip this step if you like their sharpness!
- In a large bowl, stir together the lime juice, serrano and cilantro and set aside.
- To prep the mango, balance it on its stem end on your cutting board. Slice off the “cheeks” on either side of the flat seed that runs down the center of the mango. Score the flesh with your knife, first in one direction, then in the opposite. Scoop out the cubes with a spoon. Place the mangoes in the bowl with the lime juice mixture.
- Add the cucumbers and tomatoes. Drain the shallots and drop them into the bowl along with the salt. Toss gently, taste and adjust salt, serrano pepper or lime juice according to your palate.
- Place a small frying pan over the medium heat. Add the peanuts and toast in the pan, shaking frequently, until fragrant and dark brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the peanuts over the salad, and serve.
For more information on Chef Aarti Sequeira, go to: www.aartipaarti.com
Aarti’s cookbook,: “Aarti Paarti: An American Kitchen with an Indian Soul”, available at bookstores now. (Publisher: Grand Central Life & Style – part of Hachette Book Group)
Aarti is the host of the new web show “10 Minute Meals” on OwnZones (ownzones.com/Aarti)
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.