Jill Simonian's Armenian Cheese Berags
- 1.5 lbs. grated jack cheese
- 1 package plain Feta cheese (optional)
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb. filo dough
- 1-2 cubes butter (melted)
"This is a recurring holiday treat in my family! I have so many memories over the years making this with my mom and sister in our kitchen growing up. My grandma knows how to make a delicious Armenian dish, called "souberag," by scratch (noodles and all)... and we always begged her to "please!" make it for us. We still haven't quite mastered her specialty, but this recipe is an easier version that uses phyllo dough (instead of the homemade noodles) and runs a very close second. My family can't imagine a holiday celebration without this!"
You'll also need for later:• 2 additional eggs, beaten • ½ cups milk • 2 tsp. baking powder Recipe:
- Mix 2 eggs (beaten), cheese, and parsley together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Butter a 9x13 baking pan (bottom and sides).
- Divide filo dough into 2 sets of 15 sheets each (NOTE: Make sure filo is thawed.)
- Layer 2 sheets of filo in buttered pan, brush on melted butter, and continue every other 2 sheets until your first set of 15 sheets are done and layered/buttered in pan. (NOTE: Make sure to cover up unused filo with a damp towel in between pulling sheets to layer in pan so that it doesn't dry out.)
- Spread all of egg/cheese mixture over top of 15 layered/buttered sheets in pan.
- Finish layering/buttering the rest of the filo (same way you did before, buttering every 2 sheets) until all of filo is done.
- Place in fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Take pan out of fridge and then cut raw layers into squares inside pan (cut all the way through). Set aside.
- Whisk the other 2 beaten eggs with milk and baking powder. Pour this mixture over raw filo (layered in your pan). Let sit for 10-15 minutes on counter.
- Bake at 350° F for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately out of oven. Enjoy!
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.