- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
This recipe from "Taste of Home" magazine was submitted by Lee Ann Miller of Walnut Creek, OH.
Yield: 6 servings.
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 35 min. + standing.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to ½ in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Spoon into shell and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutritional Facts: piece equals 528 calories, 42 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 217 mg cholesterol, 702 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine Pairing: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
For more great "Taste of Home" recipes, go to
Click here to get your copy of Cristina's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love"