Irish Whiskey Cake in a Jar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- prepared whipped cream (for jar cakes)
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add coffee, whiskey, butter, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
- Place over moderate heat and whisk until butter has melted.
- Remove from heat and add sugar. Whisk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla extract, and gradually pour into chocolate mixture.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Mixture will be very thin.
- Place canning jars on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and pour batter in each, about 1/2-cup full. Or, pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes (for both jars and Bundt pan).
Directions for the whiskey butter sauce:
- When the cake(s) are almost ready to come out of the oven, begin to make the sauce.
- Combine all ingredients (except whipped cream) in a small saucepan, and cook very gently over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- When cake(s) are done, let cool for 10 minutes
- With a skewer, poke holes in jarred cakes. Pour a little sauce into each cake, dividing it evenly until it has all been used
- Top with prepared whipped cream.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.