Hush Puppies with Dungeness Crab
- 1 ½ cups self-rising cornmeal
- ¾ cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T sugar
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 large jalapeno, diced small, seeds removed
- 2 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten slightly
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup jumbo lump crab, preferably Dungeness
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 T milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 T dill, minced
Directions for Hush Puppies
1) Heat oil to 350 degrees. Also, heat the oven to 350 degrees for holding.
2) In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and add the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt. Cook until cooked through and a bit golden. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3) In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine.
4) In another bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk, onions and jalapeno. Add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Let the dough sit for 10 minutes. If the dough looks too dry, add another 1/4 cup of buttermilk. It should look somewhat dry.
5) Test the oil with the water test.
6) Drop a spoonful of dough, using 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop sprayed with non stick spray into the oil. The hushpuppies will sink. When they float, allow them to cook and then flip. Fry the hushpuppies until dark and get even darker crispies on the outsides. This should take no less than 2 minutes. Remove the puppy and drain. Place on a brown paper bag and reseason. You can also use paper towels. Place in the oven while you fry the rest.
7) Serve with Dill Cream
Directions for Dill Cream
1) In an electric mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese to make it smooth.
2) With the mixer on medium, add the sour cream, scallion, milk, lemon juice, salt and pepper and dill. Spoon the dip into a bowl and garnish with fresh dill sprigs.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page