How To Cook with SPAM®
Cristina's Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients:• 1 tablespoon olive oil • 1 cup of Spam cut into ¼" squares • 1 Tablespoon jalapeno chopped small • 2 scallions chopped small • 6 eggs beaten well • 2 tablespoons whole milk or half and half • vegetable spray • 4 corn tortillas • ½ cup cilantro loosely packed chopped coarsely • 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 300
- Cover the tortillas with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn off oven but leave tortillas in there until ready to use.
- Heat a skillet on medium low heat 30 seconds, add oil, spam and jalepanos.
- Saute until the spam is golden brown on all sides.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a bowl with the milk and whisk really well.
- Spray a small frying pan liberally with vegetable oil and add the eggs.
- Use a wooden spoon and constantly move the eggs until they are creamy and fluffy.
- Add the sauteed Spam into the eggs and fold in gently.
- Take the tortillas from the oven. Lay a tortilla on a warm plate and fill with 3 tablespoons of scrambled eggs on the lower third.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Monterey Jack Cheese on top add a touch of cilantro and fold.
- Cut in half and serve.
Fajita SPAM Musubi RecipeIngredients: • 1 can SPAM® Black Pepper, cut into long julienne • 4.5 oz white steamed rice, cooked ahead of time • 5 sheets Japanese nori, cut in half • 1 oz olive oil • 1 ½ cups sweet onions, diced small and caramelized • 2 tbl garlic, minced • 1 cup green pepper, thin sliced • 1 cup red pepper, thin sliced • ¼ cup tomato sauce • ½ tbl soy sauce
- Heat sauté pan with light oil.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until garlic is golden brown.
- Add spam® and cook for 3-4 minutes or until spam® has a nice sear.
- Add onions, green and red peppers and tomato sauce, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy to finish cooking.
- lace the musubi maker mold on top of the nori (in the center), and fill with rice.
- Press down on the rice.
- Place the onions, peppers and spam® mixture on top.
- Add one more layer of rice, and one final press.
- Pull the mold upward and quickly wrap the nori around the rice.
Mini Maple SPAM Doughnuts Recipe
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda • 1 tablespoon melted butter • 1 12-ounce can SPAM® Classic, SPAM® Hickory Smoke, or SPAM® with Bacon • 1 large egg • 1 teaspoon maple flavoring • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar • ⅓ cup divided plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk • ¾ cup powdered sugar • ¼ teaspoon salt
- To make dough, in large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In small bowl, whisk together ⅓ cup buttermilk, the egg and butter. Add to flour mixture. Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with large round tip. (Or snip corner of resealable plastic food storage bag.) Refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled.
- Cut your selected SPAM® variety into 12 slices. With 1 ½-inch cookie cutter, cut 2 rounds from each slice SPAM®. Cut small circle from center of each round of SPAM®; reserve scraps.
- In large greased skillet, cook SPAM® rounds until golden; set aside. Finely chop reserved SPAM® scraps. Cook in same skillet until golden brown.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease mini doughnut pans.
- Fill doughnut molds evenly with chilled batter; top each with SPAM® round. Bake 10 minutes or until doughnuts spring back when cooked. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack.
To make glaze, in small bowl, combine powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and the maple flavoring. Stir until mixture becomes runny. Drizzle glaze over warm doughnuts. Sprinkle with finely chopped SPAM®.
Get more great SPAM® recipes and info at www.facebook.com/SpamBrand.