- ½ pound whole-wheat penne / gluten-free penne
- ¼ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup 1% or 2% milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add the cauliflower, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft. Drain. Place the cauliflower in a blender and puree.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, place the pasta, the cauliflower puree, the cheeses, and the milk. Stir gently to combine and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the mac and cheese and serve immediately.
For more healthy recipes from the Oval Office, pick up a copy of Michelle Obama's book, "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America," available at amazon.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.