Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
1. To prepare roast beef: place a large heavy ovenproof skillet (such as cast iron) in oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. When oven is heated, remove hot skillet and place on stovetop over high heat. Add 2
tablespoons olive oil to skillet and heat until oil is shimmering; add roast and sear on all
sides to brown (about 5 minutes). Remove skillet from heat.
3. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and black pepper in small bowl
and mix to blend; spread evenly over top of browned roast.
5. Transfer skillet to 350 degrees F. oven and roast uncovered for 75 to 90 minutes, or
until meat thermometer reads 135 degrees F. (medium-rare) or to desired doneness.
Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
6. To prepare roasted root vegetables: toss vegetables in olive oil to coat, season with salt,
black pepper and thyme. Arrange oiled vegetables on a baking sheet.
7. Roast root vegetables uncovered for 60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a
fork and potatoes are golden, turning occasionally. Remove from oven. Let beets cool
slightly; using a paring knife, remove skins and slice each beet in quarters.
8. To serve: Slice roast beef and arrange on a large platter. Surround roast beef with
roasted vegetables. Garnish platter with rosemary sprigs, if desired.