1. To prepare angel food cake: preheat oven to 325°F. Combine egg whites, vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl; using a wire whip attachment, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar; beat on high speed until glossy stiff peaks form.
2. Remove bowl from mixer stand. Using a soft spatula, fold ¾ cup sugar into
beaten egg whites, ¼ cup at a time.
3. In a separate bowl, sift cake flour and ¾ cup sugar together; gradually fold into
egg mixture. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
4. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cake top springs back when touched. Immediately
invert pan; cool for 1½ hours. Loosen edges around the cake with a knife to remove
5. To prepare crème anglaise: combine heavy cream, sugar, vanilla bean and
scraped seeds in a medium saucepan; heat to a simmer. Remove from heat.
6. Slowly whisk 1cup hot cream mixture into egg yolks, ¼ cup at a time. Gradually
add egg yolk mixture into saucepan, whisking constantly. Stir over low heat with a
wooden spoon until custard thickens, about 5 minutes. Strain sauce into bowl,
cover and chill. (Custard can be made 1 day ahead.)
7. To assemble dessert: sift powdered sugar generously over top and sides of angel
food cake. Dredge berries in sugar and arrange over top of cake.
8. To serve: using a serrated knife, slice cake; top each slice of angel food cake and
berries with 2 tablespoons crème anglaise.