Healthy Ice Cream Sundae with Sophie Uliano
- 1 cup (250ml) full-fat, organic coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice syrup
- ⅓ Cup raw cacao powder
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or a few seeds from a vanilla pod)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ teaspoons Xanthum Gum
HEALTHY ICE CREAM ALTERNATIVES:
- Coconut Milk has many health benefits - easy to digest and packed with vitamins and minerals
- Goat Milk is easier to digest for those lactose-intolerant or who have irritable bowl syndrome, and it’s incredibly nutrient dense.
- Almond milk – With no cholesterol or saturates fat, it’s heart healthy. With 50% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E, your skin will glow. Almond milk is low in carbs, meaning it won’t increase your blood sugar levels,
- Cashew Nuts are packed with phytochemicals that play a big part in cancer and heart disease prevention.
TIPS FOR SHOPPING
No matter how healthily it’s marketed, you have to be careful they can be loaded with sugar. Check for:
- Sugar - comes in many names. All of its guises: Sugars ending in “ose” – Sucrose, Maltose, Fructose, Cane Juice, Barley Malt.
- Watch out for “low-fat/fat-free”. When companies take fat out, they compensate with other things like sugar.
- Carrageenan is another emulsifier and stabilizer. It comes from algae or seaweed extract common in the Atlantic Ocean. These carrageenans, even at low doses, have been found to destroy human cells and are linked to various human cancers and digestive disorders.
TIPS FOR TOPPINGS
*You are best going with plain vanilla and adding your own healthy toppings. If you top your sundae off with a bunch of junk that completely undoes any good you’ve done by buying the healthier ice cream alternative. I suggest the following delicious and healthy toppings:
- Matcha green tea powder - choc full of polyphenols (potent antioxidants) and fiber
- Dairy free sugar free chocolate
- Roasted salted almond (healthy protein)
- Cacao nibs (potent source of antioxidants)
- Toasted coconut chips (healthy and delicious treat - fiber too)
*You can find all of these healthy toppings at health food stores. For the best price on Matcha green tea powder go to Asian food stores or buy online.
Instructions for raw fudge sauce:
- If you're using a regular blender or food processor, soak the dates in a bowl of water for an hour or so to soften, then drain. If you're using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, you can skip this step.
- Throw all ingredients into blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Eat immediately or slowly heat in a small saucepan for that extra hot fudge sauce effect
- Store any leftovers in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.