Ham Steaks with Sweet Potato Tater Tots and Blueberry Sorghum
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (177 g) breadcrumbs, such as panko, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup (50 g) fresh blueberries (blackberries are great too)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup (120 ml) sorghum
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
- 2 (½-inch [13-mm]-thick) ham steaks
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Bake the sweet potatoes whole, wrapped in foil, for about 40 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove them from the oven and scrape the fluffy insides into a bowl, discarding the skin.
2) Add the cinnamon, honey, egg, 1 cup (60 g) of breadcrumbs and salt to the sweet potatoes and mix until the potatoes are smooth. (I use a fork and that works just fine.) Now it’s time to form the tots. Lay out the sweet potato mixture in a cylindrical shape on a large piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Fold over the plastic wrap so that you can form that classic shape. Fold over the ends of the plastic wrap and let the sweet potato mixture chill in the freezer for 1 hour, or until it is stiff enough to cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces.
3) Right before frying the tater tots, roll them in the remaining 2 cups (118 g) of breadcrumbs. Once they are ready to go, gently place a few at a time in a 325°F (163°C) vegetable oil bath on your stovetop. When they are done, they will float to the top of the pan. Skim them out carefully and sprinkle them with some salt.
4) In a small saucepan, cook down the blueberries and lemon juice over medium heat. I like to muddle the berries with a fork as they intensify in flavor. This only takes about 5 minutes. Add the sorghum. This wonderful stuff packs a punch in the flavor department.
5) Melt the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the ham steaks and cook for 10 minutes or until the steaks are golden brown and crispy.
6) Serve the blueberry sorghum warm on top of a smoky ham steak with the sweet potato tater tots. If you wanted to fry up a few eggs, this might be the most perfect breakfast dish ever.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page