Directions for Red Snapper
1) Purchase a whole fish from your local store or fish market and have them clean and gut it for you. Score the fish at a 45 degree angle down the body 3-4 times to avoid curling & clean with half limes under running water inside & out.
2) Squeeze 1 lime half over fish and marinate with ground spices mixed with the another lime half, salt, thyme, parsley, garlic, bell peppers, onions for at least 1 hour.
3) In large skillet, heat oil to sauté onions, bell peppers, & add tomato paste.
Add seasoned fish along with thyme, parsley, garlic, 2 cups water, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
4) Flip the fish to the other side to cook add the rest of the onions, salt to taste, cover and simmer 5 more minutes.
5) Serve with red beans & rice & plantains
Directions for Red Beans and Rice
1) Rinse & soak beans overnight in pot filled with water or boil for up to 2 hours until soft with a tsp of salt, if the beans are not yet soft & water has reduced, add more water until texture is achieved.
2) Strain beans in a colander into a medium sized mixing bowl & set both the beans & the bean water aside to cook.
3) On medium high heat fry the bacon until crispy, add 1 tbs oil, fry the onions, shallot, green pepper, garlic and chicken bouillon cube till onion & shallots are opaque & the bouillon cube has dissolved into the aromatics. Keep stirring while frying to avoid the garlic getting burned.
4) Add in the drained beans and fry until they start to get darker, avoid burning by stirring them around in the aromatics & bacon mix.
5) Add fresh water to the bean water until you reach 4 cups of water. Add Thyme, parsley, cloves, habanero (if you like spicy you can pierce the habanero with a fork) tomato paste, salt & pepper to taste. Cover the pot until water comes to a rolling boil.
6) Add rinsed rice & cook for about 15-20 minutes until the water has reduced to the & the rice is at the surface.
7) Stir in butter, cover pot with aluminum foil & lid to avoid any steam from coming out, reduce temperature to low & cook for an additional 25-30 minutes until liquid runs dry.
Direction for Cocktail
1) Mix all ingredients together in bowl; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to meld, the kremas to get nice and cold. Serve in a cinnamon & sugar rimmed martini glass with a lime, cinnamon stick & star anise garnish.
NOTE: Can store drink (without rum) in bottles in refrigerator for up to 2 months. Add rum later when serving.
Check out more DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page