Haitian Pikliz & Fried Plantains
Ingredients for the Pilzik:
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced & halved
- 3 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, thinly sliced with seeds
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups of vinegar
Ingredients for the Bannunn Peze (Fried Plantains/Tostones):
- 2 cups Canola Oil
- 2 Large Green Plantains, peeled, sliced 1 1/2" (6-8 slices per plantain)
- Bowl of Hot Water
Ingredients for the Griot:
- 3 lbs of bone in pork shoulder/butt have Butcher cut into 2" with the bones & skin still attached
- 3 limes, halved
- 2 sour oranges (use 2 oranges, 1 lemon & 2 limes if sour orange is not available in your region) juiced
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 5 green scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero pepper
- 4 sprigs of dried thyme, pull leaves off the stick
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon Lawry's Garlic Salt
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pork broth (from liquid)
- Tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 packets of sazon goya
Directions for the Pikliz:
- Layer all ingredients in a large mason jar, add peppercorns, salt & vinegar.
- Close lid to jar tightly.
- Allow to pickle for 24 hours & enjoy!
Directions for the Bannunn Peze:
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Brown pieces on all sides over medium-high heat til golden brown about 4 minutes.
- Using a plantain press/tostonera, brown paper bag or a cutting board & a pot or a plate flatten the fried plantains.
- In a prep bowl filled with hot water & 2 tablespoons of salt soak the flattened fried plantains into the salt water for 1 minute.
- Shake off excess water, gently place back into hot oil & refry the plantains again. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve hot.
Directions for Griot:
- Clean pork with limes under cold running water.
- In a blender, blend cloves, garlic, shallot, parsley, scallions, onions, green pepper, red pepper, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings & 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper 1 tablespoon of lime.
- In a large prep bowl mix pork, lime juice & marinade.
- Cover & marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour to 24 hours.
- In a large sauce pan, on high, add water, marinated pork and boil until tender, check tenderness with a fork at the 45 minute mark.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Remove pork with a slotted spoon from water & place in a sheet pan. Do not discard liquid, it's now your pork broth.
- Cook pork for 1 hour until crispy.
- While pork is cooking in a small saucepan on medium heat cook onion & garlic until translucent.
- Ladle pork growth from tenderizing process.
- Add tomato paste, sazon goya salt & pepper to taste, stir
- With a fork, prick scotch bonnet or habanero pepper & place in sauce.
- Cook on medium- high heat while griot is cooking in the oven until sauce reduces into 1/2.