Gooey Chocolate Lava Cakes With Candied Walnut And Navel Orange Salad
Gooey Chocolate Lava Cake Ingredients:
• 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
• 1 ¼ stick of butter • ½ cup all-purpose flour • 1 ¼c sugar • 3 ea. large eggs (room temp.) • 3 ea. egg yolks (room temp.) • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract • 3T strong brewed espresso • Pompeian Grapeseed Oil Spray
Gooey Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Butter and flour 6 (6-ounce) ramekins.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl over simmering water.
- Slowly add the flour and sugar to chocolate mixture with a whisk. Gently!
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the eggs and yolks until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and espresso.
- Spray the ramekins with Grapeseed Oil Spray.
- Fill the ramekins with the batter, about ⅘ full.
- Bake for EXACTLY 14 minutes.
- The cakes should look baked, no shiny spots, but the middle will still be runny and gooey.
- Carefully run a knife around the edges to loosen and invert the cakes onto whatever plate they will be served on. (hint-use a small plate so you can place the plate on top of the cake, then turn the whole assembly up-side down.)
Navel Orange Salad Ingredients:
• 3 navel oranges
• 1 c chopped walnuts • ½ egg white • ¼c powdered sugar
Navel Orange Salad Recipe:
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Cut the skin away from the oranges, then cut each segment from the membrane. give the orange segments a rough chop and put them into a glass or plastic bowl, no metal. The acidity of the oranges will react and give the salad a metallic flavor.
- Toss the walnut pieces with enough egg white to make them wet, then toss with powdered sugar until well coated.
- Place on a cookie sheet and give it a good shake to separate all the pieces.
- Roast in the oven at 350° F for 8-10 minutes, pull out and allow to cool.
- Drain most, but not all, of the excess orange juice from the bowl. Preferably into your own mouth.
- Add the walnut pieces right before you garnish the lava cakes.
- Don't let the walnuts sit in the juice and get soft!
Learn more about Chef Duff Goldman's extraodinary cake creations at www.charmcitycakes.com.