1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Unroll the puff pastry onto a work surface and roll into a 1/8-inch thickness, making a large rectangle.
4. Sprinkle the garlic powder all over the pastry and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Sprinkle the cheese all over the pastry and press the cheese into the pastry.
6. Starting from the longer end, fold the pastry in half, covering the filling.
7. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the pastry into 16 strips (cut from the fold to where the edges meet).
8. Use both hands to twist the pastry into long twists (don’t worry if some cheese falls out).
9. Transfer the twists to prepared baking sheet and top with any shredded cheese that fell out.
10. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the twists are puffed up and golden brown.