Fried Oyster & Scallop Crudo, Yuzu Vinaigrette, Pickled Onions, Fried Capers
- 1 T Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 T White Balsamic
- 1.5c Red Wine Vinegar
- 1.5c Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 c. Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Brunoise Shallot
- 1 bunch Chives
- 2 T. Honey
- 12 Fanny Bay Oysters
- 12 Nantucket Bay Scallops
- 1 lb Julienned Red Onions
- ¼ C Capers
- 1 Bunch chopped Parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs with 1 T Oregano and 1 T thyme mixed in
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- For the Oysters: Shuck Oysters. Place oyster meat into brine of 4 cups of water, ½ cup of salt, ¼ cup of white wine vinegar. Let sit for 1 hour. Crack and whisk two eggs in one bowl. In another bowl add flour and finally in a third bowl place bread crumbs. Place oyster meat first into flour, then egg wash and finally bread crumbs. Follow by deep frying.
- For the Yuzu Vinaigrette: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl except oil ( Whole grain mustard, White Balsamic, Red Wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, 1 brunois shallot, 1 T diced chives, 2 T honey). Slowly drizzle oil into bowl while constantly mixing; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For The Scallops: Clean scallops and remove tongue. Cut scallops into fifths vertically.
- For the pickled Onions: Add 1 cup of water, 1 cup apple rice wine vinegar, ¾ c sugar, ½ c salt, ¼ c coriander seed, ¼ c capers, 5 bay leaves. Bring all ingredients to a boil and let steep for 15 minutes. Add julienne red onions and let sit. This should be done a day in advance so onions absorb flavor and are lightly pickled.
- For the Capers: Take capers out of brine (pickled onions). Let Drain. Fry in light extra virgin olive oil for 30 seconds. Let sit until cool. Fry once more for thirty seconds. Place on a paper towel and pat dry.
- To plate: Place fried oyster into shucked shell. Mix scallops and yuzu vinaigrette together. Place 2 to 3 scallop rounds on each oyster. Follow by placing pickled red onion and fried capers on top. Drizzle remainder of yuzu vinaigrette and parsley on top.
Fabio's cookbook, "Fabio's Italian Kitchen," is available at www.amazon.com. For more information on the chef and to subscribe to his newsletter, "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to www.fabioviviani.com.