Instructions for Waffles
1) In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to soft peak, and add sugar. Continue to whip to stiff peak.
2) Gentle fold the egg whites in the waffle batter.
3) Pre-heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour individual servings of batter of onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
Instructions for Fried Chicken
1) Combine ½ gallon water, sweet tea, oregano, garlic powder, 1 tbsp. thyme, 6 tbsp. salt and 2 tbsp. black pepper in a large pot to create a brine. Add the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2) Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
3) Pour buttermilk in a large bowl. In a second large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, paprika, 1 tbsp. thyme, 1 tbsp, kosher salt, and 1 ½ tsp. black pepper.
4) Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture to completely coat, then shake well to remove the excess. Then dip chicken completely in the buttermilk, then dredge again in the flour mixture.
5) Add the vegetable oil to a 12” cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet and heat to 300°. Carefully place half the chicken pieces into the pan. Cook chicken in oil for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once, until the chicken is golden-brown and crispy, and the internal temperature reaches 165°. Let the cooked chicken drain on paper towels or a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Return the oil to 300° and repeat with the remaining pieces.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page