Fresh Salmon Gefilte Fish Loaf with Arugula, Avocado and Mango Slaw
- 1 roll (22 ounce/625g) frozen gefilte fish loaf
- 2 teaspoons oil for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup (120ml) mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup/80g)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cut in half and thinly sliced (about 2 cups/140g)
- 5 ounces (140g) arugula leaves
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) cubes
- 1/3 cup (45g) dried cranberries
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) cubes
TO MAKE THE FISH
1) Place the frozen gefilte fish loaf in the fridge and let thaw overnight or let sit at room temperature for 2 hours until completely thawed.
2) Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
3) Pour 1 teaspoon of oil into the loaf pan and rub it all around the bottom and sides of the pan. Line with parchment paper, pressing it against the sides and into the corners. Add another teaspoon of oil and rub all around to coat the top and sides.
4) Divide the thawed loaf between two bowls. Use a silicone spatula to break up the fish until it can be stirred. If your piece of salmon is thicker at one end than the other, trim off some of the top of the thicker end and place it on top of the thinner end. Spread half the gefilte fish into the bottom of the pan to cover. Place the fresh salmon on top, pressing it gently into the layer of gefilte fish. Use the spatula to scoop up and spread the remaining gefilte fish to cover the top and sides of the salmon.
5) Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake the fish loaf for 45 minutes. Let cool and then chill overnight in the fridge. When ready to serve, remove the foil and lift the parchment and loaf out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch-thick (2.5-cm) slices.
TO MAKE THE SLAW
1) In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, garlic, ginger, and red onion. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
2) In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, arugula, scallions, mango, and cranberries. Add the dressing and and toss.
3) Just before serving, add the avocado. Serve the slaw next to the plated fish slices or in a separate bowl.
Get more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Check out more from Chef Paula Shoyer at TheKosherBaker.com