Cristina Ferrare's French Macarons with Orange-Chocolate Filling
- 2 cups powdered sugar (7 oz)
- 2 cups almond meal (7 oz)
- 4 egg whites (4 ¾ oz)
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (2 ¼ oz)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Gel food color (optional)
- 8 oz. semisweet bar chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced candied orange
- 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Pulse powdered sugar and almond meal in a food processor until combined, 20 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high; slowly add granulated sugar and beat to firm peaks, 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla & food color and increase speed to high; beat until whites are still and glossy, about 1 minute.
- Fold almond meal mixture into whites until combined, 35-40 turns with a rubber spatula. Batter should be thick and flow like lava.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a medium straight tip.
- Pipe 2-inch circles on baking sheets. Rap pan on counter 4 times to remove air bubbles; set aside 20 minutes so skins form.
- Bake cookies until set and very lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- Slide parchment with cookies onto a rack; cool completely, then peel from parchment.
- Pipe filling onto half of cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Orange-Chocolate Filling Recipe
- Microwave chocolate, candied orange, and orange juice until chocolate is almost melted, for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Use spatula to mix; if not completely melted, microwave again for 15 seconds and mix again.
- Stir in food color.
- Chill filling until spreadable; stirring occasionally.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.