Fettuccini with Manila Clams, Spicy Sausage and White Wine Saffron Reduction
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 cup ground Italian sausage (Note: You can buy seasoned ground beef, or buy linked sausage, crumbling it as it cooks.)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 to 15 Manila clams
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh egg fettuccini (recipe below)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup torn Italian parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups flour, plus extra on the side (in case eggs are bigger than usual)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. In a large pot on medium high heat, drizzle in a touch of olive oil. Add the chili flakes, sausage, garlic and clams and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the saffron and deglaze with white wine. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken broth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Reduce by half, about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the pasta to water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pasta and add to clams. Continue to reduce the sauce, stirring pasta to release starch to help thicken sauce. Reduce heat to medium, add butter and stir to create sauce. If too thick, add a touch of pasta water to thin out. Fold in the parsley and season one last time with salt and pepper, if needed.
Directions for Fresh Egg Pasta
1. Place the egg yolks and whole eggs in a food processor using the blade attachment. Add the salt, pepper and olive oil, and pulse a few times.
2. Add half of the flour and pulse until the eggs absorb it and you have a semi-thick paste. Add the rest of the flour and allow the blade to rotate continuously. When the dough is ready, you should see a ball-shaped mass of dough bouncing around the canister. If the dough is still too wet to the touch, add an extra tablespoon of flour. If it is a bit dry, add a little water.
3. Take the pasta dough out and roll/shape according to the directions of the recipe you are making. If you’re saving some of the unshaped pasta dough for later, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for up to 6 days.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page