1. First, start heating your waffle iron. Then, in a small bowl combine the almond milk and lemon juice and set aside. It will start to curdle, but don’t worry – this is what we want to happen!
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Then, add the milk/lemon juice mixture as well as the oil and water. Stir until all flour is incorporated and then set this waffle batter aside for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the tahini sauce by combining all six ingredients. Stir until completely smooth and then set it aside, as well.
FYI – Don’t have the ingredients for the Tahini Sauce on hand? No worries! Store bought hummus makes a great substitute.
4. Next, grease your heated waffle iron via oil-dipped pastry/basting brush, or by using good ol’ cooking spray. Then, add waffle batter to the iron until about 2/3 full.
You’ll notice I surround my waffle iron with clean paper towels. This helps catch any oil or batter that may fly about during the waffle making process!
Lower the lid and let that waffle iron work its magic! You want the waffles to be golden brown and crispy, which usually takes about 6-8 minutes in my iron.
5. While you wait, take this opportunity to chop some veggies for your topping. I like cucumbers and tomato, but feel free to get creative! (A romaine based salad such as a Greek salad would be a delicious topping, as well.)
6. When the waffle is done, carefully remove it from the iron with a fork. Repeat this process until all of the batter is transformed into golden falafel waffles. Just be sure to re-grease the iron before making each one!
Keep the waffles warm by placing them on a cooling rack-lined baking sheet in an oven heated to it’s lowest setting.
7. When you’re ready to eat, drizzle your waffles with a good amount of Tahini Sauce.
Then add the chopped vegetables.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page