Fabio's Tomato Sauce with Oil and Garlic
• 6 cloves garlic
• 8 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil • 1 28-oz. can of whole plum tomatoes (packed only in tomato juice) • Salt and pepper • 10 basil leaves
- Smash the garlic with the back of a knife. Place the garlic and 5 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the garlic is golden brown. Add the tomatoes and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce is thick and no longer watery, about 10–15 minutes. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and turn the heat to high. Stir, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the oil turns red, then turn off the heat and add the basil at the very end.
Now, How Do We Make The Eggs?
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 4 fresh hot red chili peppers, thinly sliced • 4 eggs • ½ small red onion, thinly sliced • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated • Olive oil and extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling • 10-12 basil leaves • Crusty bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Put the tomato sauce, crushed garlic, and sliced peppers in an oven-safe pan.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and top with the red onion and garlic. Cover with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the pan under the broiler for 5–10 min, or until the cheese is golden brown and the eggs are cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and use a spoon to push the basil leaves under the eggs, helping to separate the eggs from the pan. Drizzle again with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Serve with crusty bread.
For More Information On Fabio, And His Newsletter "Fabio’s Kitchen Academy, " visit his website www.fabioviviani.com.
Fabio's New Cookbook, "Fabio’s Italian Kitchen," is available on