- 1 pot strong coffee (about 3 cups), chilled
- 12 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 lb. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 30–35 ladyfinger cookies
- 1 chunk dark chocolate, large enough for grating
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Either fold in the mascarpone or use the electric mixer on low to mix it in. Place the mixture in the fridge for about 30 minutes, until it is set.
- Meanwhile, pour the cold coffee into a mixing bowl and add the vanilla extract. When the mascarpone mixture is ready, spread it in a thin layer on the bottom of a 6 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Dip the ladyfingers one by one very quickly into the coffee, then lay them onto the mascarpone mixture. Repeat until the mascarpone is covered. With a cheese grater, shave some of the chocolate on top of the ladyfingers. Repeat the layers, starting again with the mascarpone, until the dish is full. The top layer should be mascarpone with chocolate grated over it.
- Serve immediately or keep chilled in the fridge for later.
For more information on Fabio, and his newsletter "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to his website: