Fabio Viviani's Short Rib Ravioli & Cristina's Italian Feast Crab Sauce Recipes
Braised Short Ribs Ingredients:
• 4 cups shitake and oyster mushrooms cleaned and sliced
• 1 bunch thyme, wrapped in twine • 1 cup sliced shallots • ¼ cup tomato paste • 2 cups Red Wine • 1 can Root Beer • 8 cups veal stock • Drizzle of olive oil • 2 bay leaves • 5 cloves of crushed garlic • 3 lbs short ribs seared with salt and pepper
Braised Short Ribs Recipe:
- In a Large sauce pot heat the olive oil, add the mushrooms and cook on high heat until well caramelized.
- Add the shallots, and caramelize.
- Add the tomato paste and the thyme bunch.
- Cook about 4 minutes while stirring and caramelizing the sugars of the tomato paste.
- Add the garlic and deglaze with the red wine and root beer.
- Reduce the wine about ½ way and them add the veal stock.
- Reduce until thickened and season to taste.
- Add to the seared short ribs and place in the oven at 300° F for about 2 ½ to 3 hrs or until the meat is falling apart.
To Add Short Ribs To Ravioli:
If you are going to make ravioli then remove the meat and vegetables from the sauce and let cool.
Once cooled you can add some sauce back to the meat and shred together. Place the filling in the ravioli ( Fabio’s fresh egg pasta dough recipe for ravioli below) and cook in salted boiling water for about 2 minutes.
Remove the pasta, and add to your sauce ( Recipe Below).
Plate and garnish with a drizzle of aged balsamic.
Fresh Egg Pasta Dough Ingredients:
• 10 egg yolks • Pinch of table salt • ½ tsp. ground black pepper • 2 tsp. olive oil • 2 cups flour
Fresh Egg Pasta Dough Recipe:
- Place the egg yolks in a food processor with the blade attachment, add the salt, pepper, and olive oil, and pulse a few times.
- Add half of the flour and pulse until the eggs absorb it and you have a semi-thick paste.
- Add the rest of the flour and allow the blade to rotate continuously.
- When the dough is ready, you should see a ball-shaped mass of flour and eggs bouncing around the canister.
- If the dough is still too wet to the touch, add an extra tablespoon of flour.
- If it is a bit dry, add a little water as needed.
- Take the pasta out and roll out in thin 4 X 8-inch sheets.
- If you’re saving it for later, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for up to 6 days.
Sauce Ingredients & Directions: • 1 cup heavy cream
• 3 oz. Taleggio cheese
• Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan and reduce until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens.
Sauce For Cristina's Italian Feast Crab Ingredients:
• 2 cooked and cleaned Dungeness Crabs
• 1 shallot, chopped fine • 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper • salt and pepper to taste • 3 tablespoons thyme, picked and chopped • 3 tablespoons parsley, picked and chopped plus extra leaves for garnish • 2 tablespoons oregano, picked and chopped • 2 lemon, zested and juiced • 2 tangerines, zested and juiced • ½ cup butter • ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl toss together shallot, garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley oregano, and both juices.
- Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter with olive oil and pour over herb mixture, stir to combine.
- Place crabs on a baking sheet and drizzle with half of the herbed butter mixture.
- Cook crabs until warm or about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place on a platter and drizzle with remaining sauce, garnishing with zest and parsley leaves.
- Serve hot.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.
For more information on Fabio, and his newsletter "Fabio's Kitchen Academy," go to his website: www.fabioviviani.com.