Eric Greenspan's "The Champ" Sandwich
- 15 dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon nonpareil capers
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices dark raisin bread
- 5 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 small handfuls arugula
- ¼ cup sun dried tomato, rehydrated
- 8 ounces taleggio cheese, rind removed, at room temperature
- ½ pound boneless beef short ribs
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 pinches fleur de sel
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- Place apricots in small saucepan and add water just to cover. Bring to full boil and immediately remove from heat. Mix in capers, mustard and olive oil. Pulse in blender to chunky consistency; set aside.
- Season the short rib with salt and cut into four chunks. Place in a pressure cooker with the beef stock and cook for an hour until cooked and shreddable. Shred and hold in the reserved cooking liquid.
- Spread one side of each bread slice evenly (to the edges) with ½ tablespoon butter. With buttered sides down, top four slices with 2 tablespoons of apricot mixture, handful of arugula and equal portions of cheese. Add an even amount of rehydrated tomatoes and ¼ of the shredded beef per sandwich. Top with remaining slices, buttered side up.
- Place large skillet over high heat, and melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Reduce heat to low and add sandwiches. Cook until browned and crisp on both sides, about 2 minutes a side. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towels, and sprinkle each with a pinch of fleur de sel. Cut in half and serve.
Learn more about Eric Greenspan's award-winning Grilled Cheese at greenspansgrilledcheese.com.