Directions for Eggnog Ice Cream
1) Put half and half, corn syrup and a pinch of salt into a medium saucepan and simmer until 150 degrees. Meanwhile, whip up your egg yolks with 1⁄2 cup sugar until pale, and thick enough that a thick ribbon forms when the beater is held up.
2) When half and half mixture reaches 150 degrees, add it very slowly to the beaten eggs (keep mixer on low); place the entire mixture back in the saucepan, and on medium heat, stir constantly until 180 degrees and base coats the back of a spoon.
3) Pour hot mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, add in the cream, rum/whiskey and extract(s) and nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours (preferably overnight). Freeze in your ice cream maker, adjust seasoning when ice cream is firm, then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Place a square of parchment paper or plastic wrap on the surface of the ice cream. Cover and put in the freezer to harder (at least 2-3 hours). Set out for 5 minutes before scooping and serving. Enjoy! Serving suggestion: dollop of rum-spiked whipped cream on top, dusted with nutmeg.
Directions for Vegaan Eggnog Frozen Dessert
1) Put cashew milk, coconut cream, salt, coconut sugar and dates in a heavy saucepan and heat on medium until sugar is melted and coconut cream is incorporated. Bring up to a gentle boil and add the agar agar and gently boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring throughout.
2) Remove and place in blender and process until dates are fully broken down. Add in vanilla extract and nutmeg, process briefly, put in a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled. As the mixture chills, the agar agar will set and your base may be gelatinous. Don’t worry! Pop it back in the blender or mix with your hand mixer, then place in your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Shortly before removing add the rum or whisky (or rum extract), taste and adjust seasoning (ie nutmeg and salt) to taste. Place the Nog into a freezer safe container, and freeze for at least 2 hours. Enjoy your Vegan Nog!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page