1. Generously salt and pepper your short ribs and let sit for an hour or 2 in the refrigerator (or overnight, uncovered).
2. In a very hot large pot, add olive oil to coat the bottom; brown short ribs on all sides on high heat until mahogany colored, and remove to a separate plate.
3. Add the carrots and onion to the pot and sauté until onions are translucent and carrots caramelized.
4. Add garlic and stir for a minute or 2.
5. Make room in the middle of the pot and add the tomato paste and stir until it starts to darken.
6. Add the wine, and herbs (and mushrooms, if you like), and mix well.
7. Place the short ribs and their juices into the pot. Add stock until it covers all the short ribs.
8. If using a heavy pot, cover and place in the oven at 250 for 6-8 hours.
9. If using a crockpot, transfer to the crockpot, set on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
10. Place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning skim off the fat, remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs and discard.
11. About 4 hours before serving, bring short ribs and all these goodies up to simmer and cook for another 4 hours on low.
Tip: Serve over polenta, mash potatoes, or rice. When all the meat has been consumed, you can strain the leftover juices and freeze. You can use this many ways - added to soups, stews, gravies, or as the base for another round of short ribs!