Debbie Macomber’s Oatmeal Date Bars
Get a recipe straight out of Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove Cookbook!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flower
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned or quick oats
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 ½ cups toasted chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil, overhanging edges to serve as handles. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and both sugars about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold dry ingredients into butter mixture. Stir in oats, dates and walnuts.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Halfway during baking, turn baking pan from front to back. Do not overbake. Bars will still be a bit soft and not brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Use foil edges to lift bars out of pan and cut into squares.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.