Cristina's Grilled Beef Salad with Pasta
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus additional to season the steak
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper plus additional to season the steak
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta (bow tie pasta)
- 1 (12-ounce) New York strip steak
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan curls
1. In a bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
2. Place the arugula, cilantro, basil, mint, and parsley in a salad bowl. Set aside.
3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions (**TIP don't forget to salt the water otherwise your pasta will taste flat, 1 tablespoon of salt per quart). When the pasta is cooked, drain, rinse in cool water, and drain again, until you get as much water off the pasta as possible. Set aside in the calendar with a small plate underneath.
4. Heat an indoor or out door grill pan or small cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
5. Season the steak to taste with kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
6. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the grill using a brush to spread it evenly.
7. Lower heat to medium and grill the steak, turning every 2 minutes for a total of 8 minutes.
8. Grill for an additional minute per side for a total cook time of 10 minutes. Steak will be cooked medium (pink). Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
9. Slice the steak evenly in 1/4 inch slices.
10. Into the bowl with the arugula, add the cooked pasta and mix.
11. Remove and discard the garlic from the dressing, and pour the dressing over the salad. Mix well.
12. Add the sliced steak on top, add the shaved Parmesan over the top, and serve.
**COOK'S TIP Use a potato peeler to shave the Parmesan cheese into curls. Get more of Cristina's tips and recipes here: www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.