Cristina's Hummus Recipe
- 1 (15 oz) chickpeas
- 2/3 c extra virgin olive oil - 1t cumin - 1 garlic - 1/4c tahini - 4t lemon juice - 1/8t cayenne - 1/2t salt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil - 1-tablespoon lemon juice - 1-teaspoon lemon zest - 1-teaspoon kosher salt - 1-table fresh mint, finely chopped - 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped - 2-cups Greek yogurt
1. Place cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, mint, and dill in a bowl a mix well. Add the Greek yogurt and mix well.
2. Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container, and chill in the refrigerator for a least 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Cristina's Lamb Meatballs
- 1-pound ground lamb - 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped - 1 small garlic clove, minced or crushed in a garlic press - 1 egg, slightly beaten - 2 tablespoons bread crumbs - 1-teaspoon cumin - 1-tablespoon mayonnaise - 1 cup fresh mint, loosely packed and finely chopped - 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt - 2 tablespoons canola oil - 1 fresh lemon for squeezing and garnish, cut into quarters - 1/8-teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional) Recipe:
1. In the bowl with the lamb, add onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, cumin, mayonnaise, fresh mint, and salt. Using your hands, mix thoroughly to distribute the ingredients evenly.
2. With a teaspoon, form the mixture into 24 meatballs. Don't level the meat off or pack the meatballs too tightly.
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. Lightly spread canola oil on a baking sheet using a paper towel. Place the meatballs 2 inches apart on the baking sheet, and position the baking sheet 4 inches from the heat source. Broil for about 5 minutes, turning once halfway through.
5. Place toothpicks into each meatball and arrange on a serving platter, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top. Sprinkle the cayenne pepper over the meatballs at the last minute.
6. Serve with a cup of Tzatziki on the side. You will have some left over.
* The Tzatziki makes a great side dish with grilled shrimp, chicken or beef. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Will keep for 3 days!