Cristina's 5 Minute Tomato Sauce
- 8 ounces of Farfalle pasta (Bowtie)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped small
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups of baby heirloom tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Italian parsley loosely packed, rough chop
- 5 basil leaves, rough chop
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
- While pasta is cooking, start to make the sauce.
- Heat olive oil for 1 minute on medium high heat.
- Add the scallions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Sauté the garlic until golden and then remove the garlic from the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and salt.
- Sauté for three minutes shaking the pan back and forth.
- Add basil and parsley. Turn off the heat.
- Drain your pasta and add to the tomatoes. Heat through for approximately 1 minute.
- Sprinkle cheese over pasta and serve.
- Pasta can be served hot, cold or room temperature!
Tomatoes are a powerful anti-oxidant and contain a lot of vitamins A and C, mostly because of beta-carotene. These vitamins act as an anti-oxidant, working to neutralize dangerous free radicals in the blood stream that can damage cells. The more red the tomato, the more beta-carotene it contains. Cooking destroys much of vitamin C, so stick with raw tomatoes for these benefits. That’s why this sauce is perfect.
This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a dish of pasta. It’s quick, easy and so full of flavor. Perfect for a summer meal or a picnic.
Look for tomatoes that are vibrant colored with firm shiny skin.
Never refrigerate tomatoes big or small, this will kill the flavor for sure, keep them at room temperature.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.