- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2, 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups day old bread, torn into pieces (sourdough baguette, Italian bread, or ciabatta)
- 5 fresh basil leaves rolled tightly like a cigarette and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, garnish
1. Heat a heavy stockpot on medium-high heat.
2. Add the olive oil until hot but not smoking.
3. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until the garlic starts to turn a golden brown (take care not to burn garlic).
4. Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, and chicken stock.
6. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low boil and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
7. Add the torn bread mix and let sit about 5 minutes to help it absorb some of the liquid.
8. Heat through and serve in individual bowls.
9. Garnish with fresh basil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and extra red pepper flakes on each serving!