Cristina Ferrare's Spicy Short Ribs
- 1 Tbs. peanut oil
- 3 lbs small, bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 small fresh hot red chiles (such as Thai bird), stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 medium cloves garlic, quartered
- 1, 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup lime marmalade
- ½ cup lower salt chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil leaves; plus small leaves for garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet (or removable insert).
- Add half the short ribs, turn once, brown well.
- Transfer ribs to a bowl, repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add onion and cook stirring often until soft (about 3min).
- Add chiles, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice and nutmeg.
- Stir until fragrant (about 1 min).
- Add marmalade and stir until melted.
- Pour contents into the slow cooker (or insert to cooker).
- Stir in broth and soy sauce.
- Nestle the ribs into the sauce pouring meat juice into the pot.
- Cover and cook unitl fork tender (5-6 hrs on high or 9 hrs on low).
- The ribs can stay on the “keep warm” setting for up to 2hrs.
- Use tongs to transfer the short ribs to serving bowls or a platter.
- Strain the sauce; set aside.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan.
- Add vinegar, bring to a boil, until reduced by half (about 8 mins).
- Stir in basil and cook for 1 minute to let the flavors meld.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. pour over the short ribs.
- Garnish with small basil leaves.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.