Chinese Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 2 teaspoons dry Chinese or English (Coleman's) mustard
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (2-3 for 4 servings)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 pound chicken, cavity filled with finely diced celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 small heads or 1 medium head Napa cabbage
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, cut into ¼ inch julienne strips
- 1 radicchio, cut into ¼ inch julienne strips
- 10 snow peas, cut into ¼ inch julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoonS peanuts, toasted (optional)
- Prepare the vinaigrette. Place all the vinaigrette ingredients, except peanut oil, in a blender and blend until smooth. Add peanut oil slowly and correct the seasonings.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and baste it with some of the butter. Roast for about 1½ hours, or until just done. (The juices should run clear.) Baste every 15 or 20 minutes with the butter and the drippings.
- Select 4 to 8 nice looking leaves from the Napa cabbage and reserve them. Slice the remaining cabbage and radicchio into ¼ inch julienne strips.
- Shred the meat from the breasts and thighs of the chicken.
- Combine the chicken, cabbage, romaine, radicchio, and snow peas in a bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to coat the salad nicely.
Note: Serves 4 appetizer or 2 entrée salads
Make a reservation at Wolfgang Puck's Chinois Santa Monica.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.