- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 whole fresh jalapeño chili pepper, seeds and stem discarded, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeño Monterey Jack cheese, feta, goat cheese, or vegan cheese
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and chopped into small cubes
- Mexican Crema, to taste
- 4 tablespoon low-fat sour cream
- 4 lime wedges
Yield: Makes 4 tacos. Serves 2.
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Add the zucchini, onions, garlic, and scallions.
- Sprinkle with salt and cumin.
- Stir to coat the vegetables with the oil in the pan.
- Sauté until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Turn off heat, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy skillet. Spread it with a paper towel to coat the pan.
- Add the tortilla and heat it for 1 minute or until it starts to gently brown. Keep moving it around a bit then turn to do the other side.
- Add your choice of cheese and spoon some of the cooked veggie filling into them.
- Sprinkle on chopped cilantro and avocado, a drizzle of Crema or a dollop of sour cream. Serve with a lime wedge.
- Serve immediately.
Get additional recipes from Cristina at www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.