Cristina Ferrare's Parmesan Salad Bowls With Light Caesar Salad
Parmesan Salad Bowls
- 1⅓ cups Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- Paper towels
- 1 Silpat mat
- Half-sheet pan
- To make Parmesan salad bowls: Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Put a Silpat mat on a half-sheet pan. Spread out ⅓ cup cheese onto Silpat into 6 inch circles. Put in oven and allow to brown in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove cheese from pan with a spatula and lay on a flipped-over medium-size (5 ½ inches) clean bowl. Gently place a paper towel over the cooked Parmesan and lightly press on to flipped bowl. This protects your hands while soaking excess oil.
- Let Parmesan bowls cool about 5 minutes before removing from flipped bowl. Divide prepared salad among the Parmesan bowls and serve.
Yield: 4 bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Inactive prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
Light Caesar Salad with Croutons and Dressing
Garlic-infused Croutons Ingredients
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 3 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups ½–inch bread cubes from 1 baguette or sourdough loaf
Light Caesar Salad With Dressing
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 small to medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped into a paste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps canola oil
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsps. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small can anchovies for garnish
- Remove large outer leaves from heads of lettuce and discard.
- Wash the rest of the leaves, dry them well, and tear them into 1½ inch pieces (about 9 or 10 cups)
- Medium glass bowl – combine lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic, and anchovy paste – whisk until smooth. Combine olive oil and canola oil, whisk together for a few seconds. Whisking constantly, add the oil in a slow, steady stream to the anchovy mixture.
To Assemble the Salad
- Place the lettuce in the bowl. Add 4 tbsps. of dressing, toss, distributing evenly. Add ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and toss again. Add croutons and anchovies and toss. Sprinkle on 2 tbsps. of parmesan cheese and a handful of extra croutons. The croutons can be stored in an airtight container for 1 week. You can also use them to make bread crumbs.
THIS DRESSING IS LIGHTER THAN OTHER CAESAR DRESSINGS BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY 4 TABLESPOONS OF DRESSING IN THE SALAD, WITH NO HEAVY AFTERTASTE.
Make sure you follow us on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.