- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp finely ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- Variety of sugars and sprinkles for decorating
- To make the gingerbread stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine molasses, brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir liquid into flour mixture. Mix well using hands to mix as dough becomes stiff. Chill dough for half an hour.
- Roll dough into 1/8 inch thickness onto parchment paper. Using a template or a cutter, cut into shapes.
Remove the scraps and re roll into more dough to cut into shapes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees. Cool completely on a rack.
- To make the icing, sift the sugar into a bowl. Place egg whites into the bowl of a mixer. Add sugar and lemon juice to whites while mixing. When all sugar is incorporated, turn mixer on high and beat until thick and very white, about 5-7 minutes. Cover the icing with a damp cloth until you use it because it dries very quickly.
- Pipe icing into a piping bag with a small tip (or into a ziplock bag and snip a tiny bit off the corner if you don’t have a piping bag). Ice one side to the front piece and let it dry completely before assembling the rest of the house.
- To make the roof ice the top and them cover in sprinkles or crushed candy canes and allow to dry completely.
- Attach the roof to the house. Decorate the fronts of the houses with patterns and dust them lightly with powdered sugar.
- Make a cup of hot chocolate with a nice large charred marshmallow and perch the mini gingerbread on the edge of a cup.
Click here for Cristina's Gingerbread House Template>>
Watch the Video >>
Return to Episode Guide >>
Click here to get your copy of Cristina Ferrare's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love." Get additional recipes from Cristina at cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.