Cristina Cooks: Heart Shaped Zucchini Frittatas
- 12 egg whites from large organic eggs (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped small
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini chopped small
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped small
- 3 scallions chopped
- 2 fresh Sage leaves chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves pulled off
- Pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups of tomato sauce or favorite jar sauce. I recommend RAO’S Tomato Basil
- 1-cup goat or feta cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan
- Vegetable spray
Makes 12 heart shaped frittatas
Can be served hot, room temperature or cold!
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. In a bowl with the egg whites add in six basil leaf chopped, parsley, salt, pepper and whisk with a fork 3 to 4 strokes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the Zucchini, onions, scallions, sage, thyme. Sautee for 5 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables starts to get soft.
- Add 1 tablespoon of zucchini mixture into the bottom of each muffin pan.
- Fill muffin pans almost ¾ of the way up with the egg whites.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the goat or feta cheese broken up with your fingers on top of each heart.
- Add heaping tablespoon of sauce then Parmesan cheese over each frittata Place the muffin pans in a baking pan filled with warm water ¾ of the way up.
- You will most likely need two baking pans filled with water.
- Place carefully in the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until the tops of the hearts are puffy and golden.
- Remove from oven and remove the muffin pans from the water bath. Cool on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Gently lift each zucchini frittata using a spoon and fork. Place on a plate and serve!
For more of Cristina’s recipes, go to cristinaferrarecooks.com.