Cristina Cooks Grilled Citrus Chicken with Mango Salsa and Israeli Couscous
Grilled Herb ChickenIngredients:
· ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil for marinade
· 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing · 1 cup fresh orange juice · ½ cup fresh lemon juice · 8 garlic cloves · 1 tbsp. kosher salt · 1 tbsp. ground cracked pepper · 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary · ½ cup thyme loosely packed, chopped coarsely · ½ cup parsley loosely packed, chopped coarsely · ½ cup oregano loosely packed, chopped coarsely · ½ cup chives loosely packed, chopped coarsely · 6 skin-on, chicken breasts pounded · Garnish: 2 oranges and 2 lemons each cut into quarters
1. Pound 6 chicken breasts (leaving skin on) to ¼-inch thickness. 2. Parboil 6 garlic cloves and peel. Slice thin. Take the equivalent of 1 clove and scatter under the skin of each chicken breast. 3. Salt Rub: Make a paste to rub over chicken breast skin. Take 2 cloves and pour 1 tbsp. of kosher salt and 1 tbs. of ground cracked pepper over it. With a chef knife, chop and mash to a paste. Divide rub over 6 pieces of chicken. 4. Place chicken in glass pyrex baking dish and pour ¼ cup olive oil, orange juice, and lemon juice, then scatter the rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, and chives over breasts. Turn chicken over to coat with olive oil and herbs and let marinade skin side down. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. 5. Remove chicken breasts from refrigerator 30 minutes before you grill. Be sure to fire up the grill 10 minutes before chicken goes on grill. 6. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and place on grill, skin side up. 7. Cover and grill, moving chicken to different spots on the rack for even cooking, but without turning, until slightly charred and almost cooked through, about 2½-3 minutes on each side. 8. Transfer chicken to plate and spoon mango salsa over top of chicken and serve with Israeli Couscous Salad on the side. Mango Salsa Dressing For Chicken Ingredients:
· 2 cups small chunks fresh pineapple
· 2 cups small chunks fresh mangos · 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small chunks · · 2 tbsp. finely chopped red onion · 1 tbsp. seeded and finely chopped jalapeño, plus a few slices jalape ñ o for garnish · ½ tsp. kosher salt · Cracked pepper · 1 cup cilantro, loosely chopped · 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice · 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice · 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place all of the ingredients in a glass bowl and mix. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour to allow the flavors to combine. 2. Garnish with a few slices of jalapeño just before serving. This salsa can be served chilled or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Israeli Couscous SaladIngredients:
· 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
· ½ tsp salt · 1 lemon, zested · ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted · ¼ cup fresh mint leaves chopped · ½ cup loosely packed Italian parsley · ½ cup fresh basil loosely packed · ½ cup chopped parsley packed · 1 med cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped into small pieces · 1 (1-pound) box Israeli couscous (or any small pasta) · 3 cups chicken stock · 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus ¼ cup · 2 scallions chopped · ¼ cup dried cranberries · ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper · 2 lemons, juiced
1. In a medium saucepan, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook until toasted and lightly browned, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Carefully add the stock and the juice of 1 lemon and bring to a boil. 2. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the couscous is tender, but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the couscous. 3. In a large bowl, toss the cooked couscous with the remaining olive oil, remaining lemon juice, zest, salt, scallions, and pepper and let cool. 4. Once the couscous is room temperature, add the fresh herbs, dried cranberries, and almonds. Toss to combine and serve. Get additional recipes from Cristina at www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.