Cristina Cooks Creamy Zucchini & Scallop Risotto
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 shallots (eschalots french shallots), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sherry
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 cups (400g) arborio rice
- 6 cups hot fish stock
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- ½ cup (120g) crème fraiche
- 20 fresh scallops, shell and roe removed
- 1mtablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzzling
- 1 lemon
- Chervil leaves, to serve
1. The right rice- It's important to use a high starch. Short-grain rice such as Arborio, carnaroli, or vialone nano, because it can absorb lots of liquid.
2. Turn up the heat. You should use hot stock to cook the rice so it doesn't lower the temperature of the dish. Cold stock results in a glue-like consistency. 3. Creating a stir. Use a heavy-based saucepan to cook the risotto so it doesn't burn. Stirring it constantly allows the starch to release from the rice, creating a creamy risotto. The end result should be rich and creamy and the rice should still have a little bite. Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the shallots (French) eschalot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until translucent. 3. Add the sherry, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. 4. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. 5. Add the stock, 1 cup (250ml) at a time, adding more once absorbed, and cook, stirring frequently for 18-20 minutes. 6. Add the zucchini and cook for a further 3 minutes or until rice is al dente. 7. Remove from heat and stir through the crème fraiche. 8. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat. 9. Drizzle the scallops with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. 10. Cook the scallops for 1 minute on each side or until golden and just cooked. Divide the risotto between plates, top with the scallops and chervil, and drizzle with extra oil to serve. Serves 4-6
Get additional recipes from Cristina at www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.