Cristina Cooks: Christmas Cookies
For the Cookies:
• ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar • 1 egg • 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice • 1 teaspoon coconut extract • 2 ½ cups flour Cream Cheese Filling:
• 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted • ½ cup powdered sugar • 2 tablespoons lime juice • Zest of 1 limes Royal Icing:
• 1 pound confectioners sugar
• ⅓ cup meringue powder or 2 egg whites • ½ cup water Cookies Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Royal Icing Recipe:
- In large bowl of stand mixer combine the meringue power or egg whites and water (add food coloring if desired) and beat until frothy.
- Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.
- Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
Cream Cheese Filling Recipe:
- Put cream cheese, coconut oil and sugar in mixing bowl or stand up mixer and beat until smooth.
- Add lime juice and zest and beat cream cheese on medium until smooth.
- Beat in sugar, zest, and salt. Fold in cream. Use immediately.
Instructions For Assembling Cookies:
- After cookies have cooled put filling between two cookies to make a cookie sandwich.
For The Bulb:
- Dip cookies into the icing and set to dry.
- Once cookies are dry take icing in a pastry bag and pipe for bottom of bulb.
- You can get creative here, I have mini chocolate chips and mini M&M’s for decorations.
Make sure you visit us on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv