Cristina Cooks: Brioche French Toast With Asparagus and Orange Burre Blanc
*this recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
French Toast Ingredients:
• 4 Large Eggs
• 1 Cup Heavy Cream • 1 Tsp Finely Grated Orange Zest • ½ Tsp Coarse Salt • ½ Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper • 4, 1-Inch Thick Slices of Brioche • 3 Tbls Unsalted Butter
- Whisk together eggs, cream, zest, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a 13X9 baking dish.
- Add brioche and soak in egg mixture for 2min on each side.
- Heat butter in a large skillit over medium-high heat.
- Add brioche and cook for about 2min per side.
- Remove from pan to serve.
Orange Buerre Blanc Ingredients:
• 1 ½ Cups Dry White Wine
• ½ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice • 2 Small Shallots, thinly sliced • ½ Cup Heavy Cream • 1 ½ Sticks Unsalted Butter, cubed • 1 Tsp finely grated orange zest • Coarse Salt • Freshly Ground Pepper
- Bring wine, ½ cup orange juice and the shallots to a boil in a large skillet, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to 3 tlbs of liquid, about 10min.
- Whisk in cream and cook until reduced by ¾, about 2min.
- Add butter, 1 cube at a time and whisk after each addition.
- Strain into heatproof bowl.
- Whisk in remaining orange juice and orange zest.
- Season with salt and pepper to test.
- Cover to keep warm.
• 1 lb Asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2 Tsp extra-virgin olive oil • Coarse Salt • Fresh Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Toss asparagus with oil.
- Spread out on a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until golden, about 8min.
Poached Egg Ingredients:
• 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
• Eggs • 2½-3 Cups of Water
- In a shallow saucepan, bring 2½-3 cups of water to a simmer.
- Add white wine vinegar.
- Crack eggs, one at a time, into a small cup and gently place in simmering water.
- Do not allow the water to come to a boil.
- Spoon warm water over the eggs as they simmer to firm up the egg white around the yolk.
- Simmer for 2 min for runny yolks.
- Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and gently dry on paper towel.
* We are serving this dish with prosciutto and gruyere cheese. Get more great recipes from Cristina at: www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.