Cristina Cooks: Blood Orange Tart Pine Nut Crust
Pine Nut Crust Ingredients:
• 2 cups pine nuts (about 9 ounces)
• ⅓ cup sugar • 3 cups flour • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature • 1 egg, lightly beaten • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract • ½ lemon zested • 1 blood orange zested • ¼ tsp salt
- Place the pine nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the sugar and flour and continue to pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- Place the nut mixture in a mixing bowl and add the butter, egg and vanilla, lemon zest, orange zest and salt. Beat with an electric mixer or by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Freeze 2 pieces for future use and refrigerate the third piece for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter and flour a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom and refrigerate it while the oven heats.
- Remove the tart pan from the refrigerator and use your fingertips to press the chilled dough over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim off excess.
- Bake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes, then rotate the shell and continue baking until golden brown, another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the shell from the oven while you make the filling. There may be some cracks in the shell. They will not affect the tart.
Blood Orange Curd Curd Ingredients:
• 12 eggs + 4 yolks
• 2 cups blood orange juice (plus zest of 4 oranges before juicing) • ½ cup lemon juice (plus zest of 2) • 1 ½ cups sugar • 1 tsp salt • 2 sticks of butter, cubed
Blood Orange Curd Curd Recipe:
- Whisk eggs until smooth, whisk in juices and slowly whisk in sugar and salt.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan cook mixture until thick and reached 170 degrees.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter one pad at a time and whisk whisk in zest.
- Place in a shallow dish and cool in refrigerator until thick.
- Once crust and curd are cool, place curd in crust and cool for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Decorate with dehydrated Blood Orange Slices.
And make sure you visit us on pinterest at