Cristina Cooks: Blanketed Pigs (Pigs in a Blanket)
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Prep: 15 min
Inactive: 1 hr Cook: 15 min Yield: 18 mini corn dogs
• 1 cup reduced-fat milk • 1 package active dry yeast • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar • 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and kneading • 1 teaspoon salt • ¼ teaspoon baking soda • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika • 9 reduced-fat hot dogs, halved crosswise • 1 large egg, beaten • 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds (optional)
- Warm the milk to about 110 degrees in a saucepan; pour into a medium bowl. Sprinkle in the yeast and let soften for about 2 minutes. Stir in the olive oil, brown sugar and cornmeal with a wooden spoon. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and cayenne pepper; stir to make a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if needed, until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile, insert a wooden stick or small skewer into each hot dog half, about 1 inch deep; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and lightly oil a large baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. With your palms, roll each piece into a 10-inch length. Wrap each piece around a hot dog half, tucking and pressing the edges to seal; place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the dough-wrapped dogs with the beaten egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Bake until golden, 15 minutes.
• 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar • ½ cup mayonnaise • ¼ creme fraiche or sour cream • ⅓ cup buttermilk • 2 tablespoons olive oil • Salt and pepper to taste • 2 tablespoons chives (optional)
- In a small bowl, marinate shallots in lemon juice and red wine vinegar to take the bite off. Let stand for 2 minutes. Add mayonnaise, creme fraiche and stir to combine. Whisk in buttermilk and olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Stir in chives, Serve cold. dressing keeps 3-4 days.
And make sure you visit us on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.