Directions for Pork Shanks
1) If crisping pork shanks directly from the braise, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place shanks standing upright on flat bone side on a sheet tray. Allow to crisp for 10 – 15 minutes.
2) If heating from cold start at 325 for 20 minutes and turn up to 400 until golden brown and crispy, about 10 - 15 minutes. Serve with mushroom mole and top with pickled fresnos.
Directions for Pork Brine
1) In a medium sauce pot toast spices until fragrant. Add all other ingredients, except ice and heat until salt and sugar are dissolved.
2) Let sit for 15 minutes.
3) Pour over ice into a large container. Allow to fully cool before adding pork shanks. Brine for 12 hours.
Directions for Braise
1) Preheat oven to 275 degrees
2) Heat all ingredients in a deep pan or dutch oven on stove over low heat. Wrap in foil and fit with a lid or wrap in plastic wrap and then foil if the dish does not have a lid. Place in oven and braise for 3.5 hours. Gently remove shanks from braise and allow to cool fully before frying.
Directions for the Mushroom Mole
1) Begin by removing seeds and stems of the chili’s and soak them in 4 cups of warm water. Put to the side for later.
2) In a sauce pot sweat the onions and garlic, seasoning them with a little salt. Once sweated add white wine and cook until all wine is evaporated. In two stages add the mushrooms, seasoning both times, cook until water has evaporated. Add the chili’s along with a cup of the water they were soaking in. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3) In a blender buzz everything with the room temp butter until a smooth sauce forms. Season with salt.
Directions for Pickled Fresnos
Bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Pour over sliced peppers and allow to come to room temperature.Download the Home & Family Holiday Cookbook Here
Get more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page