Crispy Date Bars
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 well beaten egg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 oz. cream cheese
Directions for the dough:
- Mix until crumbly. Press into bottom of un-greased pan (pan size should be 9 in square or 11x7in)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Place on rack to cool
Directions for Date filling:
- On stove top, combine dates, butter and sugar
- Bring to boil stirring constantly
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes
- Blend ¼ cup of hot mixture into 1 egg well beaten
- Return egg mixture to saucepan
- Cook until mixture bubbles stirring contstantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in the rice cereal, nuts and vanilla extract
- Spread over baked crust
Directions for Frosting:
- Combine the sugar, vanilla and cream cheese
- Beat at low speed until smooth
- Spread over cooled filling
Check out more about Marjorie at blueribbonbaking.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.