Corned Beef - History and Chemistry
- For a 4-5 pound piece of Brisket:
- 3/4 cup Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sodium Nitrite (Prague Powder, Pink Salt, etc…)
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp Whole Coriander Seed
- 2 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorn
- 2 Tbsp Whole Allspice Berries
- 2 Tbsp Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 4 Whole Cloves
- Rub the salt/sugar mixture on the beef first, then press the spices into the meat.
- Slide the meat into a ziploc bag, pressing out as much air as possible, and let it sit in your fridge for 7-10 days before cooking.
- Heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Put the brisket in a dutch oven and cover with water by a few inches
- On the stove, bring the water to a simmer over high heat
- Cover the pot and put it in the oven for 7-10 hours, until the meat is fork tender and slices easily
For more information on Dan Kohler, go to: www.renegadekitchen.com
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.