1. Check that a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan fits into your slow cooker crock. It should either sit on the floor of the crock or be suspended from its top edge while still allowing the lid of the crock to fit. Or use an 8- x 4-inch pan. It will just be fuller.
2. Grease the inside of the loaf pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Then
toss 1 tablespoon of flour around in the greased interior until the bottom and
sides are lightly floured.
3. Mix the sugar, eggs, and oil in a large bowl, stirring until well combined.
4. Stir in the grated zucchini.
5. Stir in the milk and vanilla, blending well.
6. In a separate smaller bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking
powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
7. Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture. Stir together thoroughly.
8. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
9. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Place the pan into the crock.
10. Cover the crock, but vent the lid with a wooden spoon handle or a chopstick at
one end. This allows steam to escape and will help to keep the moisture that gathers on the inside of the lid from dripping onto the bread.
11. Cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or until the edges of the bread begin to pull
away from the sides of the pan. Stick a tester into the center of the bread. If it
comes out clean, the bread is done. If it doesn’t, continue cooking for another 20
to 30 minutes. Test again. Continue cooking in 20-minute increments until done.
12. Lift the bread pan from the cooker and onto a cooling rack or trivet.
13. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the interior of the
pan to loosen the bread. Turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack and let it stand at least another 10 minutes before you slice it. Serve warm.
Make It Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour.