Directions for Chocolate Bourbon Coconut Cake
1. Put a large pot of water on the burner and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, measure the first 5 ingredients. Pour the water and bourbon over the chocolate and butter mixture and allow to steep until everything melts. Then whisk.
2. Sift together flour, b. soda and salt and set aside.
3. Add sugar to chocolate mixture and whisk. Add eggs and vanilla extract and whisk again.
4. Whisk in the flour mixture and then fold in the coconut.
* Coconut may be excluded upon request.
For the Elf feet:
Pre-made dark and white striped chocolate straws
White chocolate chips – 1/2 cup – to be melted in the microwave and used as “glue socks”
Small bit of green fondant
Small bit of red fondant
For the finishing: chopped sweetened Bakers coconut.
For the show, use Chocopan for the feet and socks.
The process to make the little snow mounds:
Scoop cake into mounds
Pipe icing around cake
Cover with coconut.
Process to make the feet:
Hand sculpt feet out of green fondant
Roll red fondant thin and cut out little circles with a piping tip
Using water, connect the sock to the foot
Dip the end of the chocolate straw into melted white chocolate, and press into foot to connect all pieces.
Put in cake, smile and enjoy!
Directions for Buttercream
1. Soften butter and make sure there is enough conf. sugar sifted.
2. With mixer on lowest speed, break down the butter until creamy, but do not incorporate too much air.
3. Add half the conf. sugar and pulse a few times before mixing on low speed. Add the rest of the sugar and do the same.
4. Add the cream and flavoring and mix until combined. Increase speed of mixer for a few seconds to make sure everything is nicely incorporated. Add more cream if the buttercream feels too stiff.
** Flavor should be adjusted according to taste. May require less lemon extract than vanilla bean paste.
Chocolate buttercream (add warmed ganache)
Peanut butter buttercream (add peanut butter)
Mocha buttercream (add warmed ganache and dissolved espresso powder)
Salted caramel buttercream (add warmed salted caramel filling)